Assistant General Counsel
Our mission is to give renters everywhere greater financial freedom to plan and enjoy their lives. Rhino has launched the industry's first end-to-end deposit platform servicing all stakeholders in the rental ecosystem. Rhino is aggressively responding to the most pressing needs of renters and landlords alike and aims to service more than $45 billion in cash deposits and security deposit insurance for 43 million rental homes nationwide across the entire rental industry.
Our first product eliminates the need for a cash security deposit and puts money back in renters’ pockets with a technology-driven insurance product. With Rhino, millions of renters across the country now have the opportunity to save with our award-winning deposit insurance. In addition to our security deposit insurance, we also offer renters insurance. Our newest offerings include Rhino+, a cash deposit collection and compliance solution for landlords and property managers, and Credit+, which will provide renters at partner communitie
We’ve already saved hundreds of millions of dollars for renters and are trusted in over 2 million homes nationwide, and most importantly, we’re just getting started…
The Assistant General Counsel will report directly to the General Counsel. In this newly created role, you will work hand-in-hand with multiple teams and leaders across the company to drive growth, launch new product offerings, assist with the review and negotiation of contracts, advise on privacy and regulatory issues, provide analysis and legal advice on a wide range of issues, and help manage our growing legal function. This is an individual contributor role with high impact, visibility and responsibility.
In this role you will:
- Advise internal business teams on a variety of legal and operational issues.
- Negotiate and draft commercial agreements, and provide guidance and leadership regarding corporate governance, compliance, financial structuring and capital markets.
- Own and lead contracting process; manage full review process of contracts for all vendors and partnerships, including continuous improvement of templates, signing protocol, contract retention, and contract lifecycle management.
- Partner with our Compliance team to monitor and advise on laws and regulations applicable to Insurtech companies, assist in responding to regulatory exams and inquiries, develop and improve policies and procedures as the company grows.
- Review internal and external marketing and product materials.
- Advise Product teams in the development of innovative new products and the implementation of technological solutions.
- Proactively identify gaps or weaknesses in governance practices and make recommendations for improvement, in addition to helping to provide a responsible and responsive framework for strategic risk approach and mitigation.
- Collaborate and communicate across all departments and be able to manage competing priorities and projects at once.
- Manage and field questions with internal stakeholders, have strong ability to prioritize and ability to manage up and across various functions and levels.
We’re ideally seeking:
- 4+ years of relevant legal experience at a top law firm and/or in-house legal department at a venture-backed, high growth company, preferably in a regulated environment such as insurance, finance, healthcare, etc.
- Experience providing guidance on regulatory issues, particularly related to data privacy, insurance, or finance.
- Specialist experience preferred, however, must have a strong generalist mindset; incredibly detail oriented, ability and willingness to learn, develop in a high pace, start-up environment.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- A keen attention to detail.
- Excellent strategic thinking and problem-solving skills.
- The ability to stay calm under pressure, work independently, and handle multiple assignments simultaneously while meeting time-sensitive deadlines.
- Experience with startups and/or tech companies is a benefit.
- A team-player with the ability to work collaboratively across various functions and with colleagues at all levels.
- JD required; bar admission in good standing (any jurisdiction will be considered); strong academic credentials.
Benefits & Compensation
Base Salary Range: $160,000 - $170,000
Rhino has partnered with a number of compensation benchmarking tools to determine competitive and fair market pay bands for our size and stage. Our goal is to ensure each employee is paid equitably and competitively while also maintaining a consistent and standardized methodology.
Individual pay decisions are based on a number of factors including qualifications for the role, experience level and balancing internal equity relative to other Rhinos.
Base salary is just one part of our Total Rewards Package here at Rhino. In connection with this position, we also offer:
- Competitive cash compensation package including base salary, performance bonus, and other financial perks
- Medical, Dental, and Vision coverage (90% employer contribution) - eligible from your start date
- Flexible PTO Policy, quarterly team recharge days focused on mental and physical wellness
- Generous Paid Parental Leave
- Stock option plan to give our employees a direct stake in Rhino’s success
- Bi-annual performance reviews and ongoing professional coaching and development opportunities with external partners
- Remote-first work culture with opportunities to collaborate as a team in person
- Opportunities to participate in ongoing diversity, inclusion and equity programming or join an ERG
- 401(k), HSA, Life & Disability Insurance Coverage ($0 employee contribution for additional insurances)
- Monthly lifestyle stipend to fit your needs (meals, wellness, co-working)
Rhino is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees, and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Rhino are without regard to race, color, age, religion or belief, sexual orientation, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Rhino has a zero-tolerance policy against discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. This includes recruitment, hiring, promotions, transfers, discipline, terminations, wage and salary administration, benefits, and training.